Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Election is 23 Days away and Counting

OK There is another UCC resource for the election. It is called "Our Faith Our Vote". This is a non partisan look at the election process including the voting process as well. No matter who we vote for we must insure that every vote counts and the election process is fair and unbiased.

As an African American and also a woman there were times in which both of us had to fight for the right to vote. Even when given the right to vote African Americans had obstacles thrown in there faces in the form of poll taxes and unfair voter registration practices.

What about our immigrant populations who have become citizens and have the right to vote. Also we need to think of our homeless population which Christ Church serves in numerous ways. Are they registered? They do have the right to vote.

Also think of our college students who are away. Did they apply for an absentee ballot or are they registered to vote in their college town? I remember the very first time I could vote for president at 22 my absentee ballot arrived from New York State on the very day it was due back in New York! I was livid! You could not fax it to anyone and one day express mail did not exist! I sent them a scathing letter!

So look at the resources available on the UCC website I have given you the link.

Sign up to host or go to a debate party on Wednesday October 15. I did that with my young neighbors. The 13 year old boy was very interested in the first debate so he came to my house for the VP debate along with his older step sisters one of who will be voting for the first time this year. Wow I would have like to vote at 18 but it was not available in my time. I was so surprised that the 13 year old wanted to discuss the election and it was not homework! How our times have changed. Or maybe it is because this is an historic election that would inspire a 13 year old African American/Hispanic boy to be interested in a presidential election.

So enjoy the debates with you teenage children. This is democracy in action!

Jeannette Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home