Sunday, October 09, 2011

Mission 1 Hunger in America

When I was at  the UCC General Synod I first heard about Mission 1.  The presentation struck me and also the concept.  So after I left Tampa I was ready to start this program and some churches did.  So in order to be really prepared to launch it now I kept tuned to the media about stories about hunger in America and the world and I was not disappointed.  If you read the daily papers as I do or even if you get your news on line or on television there have recently been a lot of stories about hunger.  Maybe you skipped over them in order to read the "real" news.  But even in the headline news about the economy and joblessness and unemployment and underemployment if you drill down to the human factor you will find people who are either going hungry or eating unhealthy fast food because it is cheap.

This is the idea behind Mission 1.  At Synod there was a fitness drive which was inspired by Michelle Obama  We signed up for pedometers and were asked to record our steps every day.  They handed out information about healthy food and life style.  The church nurses (yes some churches have nurses and they are an organized group) took blood pressures and weight.

Just recently ABC TV Nightly News featured a special on Hunger in America.  It is up on the ABCTV web now.

I will be featureing exerpts from this series as well as information from the UCC in future blogs.  Stay tuned!

Jeannette Brown
UCC Representative,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home