Friday, October 26, 2012

Service Sunday October 28

This Sunday October 28 is Service Sunday where we will hi-lite the service projects in which the members of Christ Church are involved.  I thought I would tell you about some of the service projects that I do.
I sing in the choir, which is the biggest service project because it requires the most time in my life with choir rehearsal and church services.  I also take voice lessons to keep my voice in shape, but that is not mandatory for choir members.  I am also the choir music librarian which means I keep track of the music that the choir sings by filing the music we have sung and numbering the new music and putting the new music in the database so that we can find them again.  For this I have help from Marian Glen.

Another service project is the Shawl Ministry which I started at Christ Church.  There are members of Christ Church who knit prayer shawls or hats to be donated to members in need or members of the community.  I could use more members to help with this as the need is great and we have not been able to keep up with the need.

An adjunct to the Shawl Ministry in my mind is the Scarf Project.  I have blogged about that project so scroll down to read about it.  I am knitting multicolored scarves to be worn by members and guests of the UCC Synod to be held in Long Beach California next June.  I am thinking of having the choir "borrow the scarves that I have knitted for our Martin Luther King Concert.  I could also use more people to join me in this.  I think I am the only Christ Church member who is knitting these and they are quick, quicker than prayer shawls.

A new project of mine is Christ Church historian.  This one has not yet been announced officially by me as I hope to do so in January.  To begin with I will be taking the oral history of long time Christ Church members before they leave the region or get too old to remember.  I will also work on the archives of Christ Church.  More about this in detail later.  But if this project interests you let me know.  I could use volunteers.
This Sunday members are asked to bring in toiletries that we bring home from our travels.  I have a sack of them that I will bring to church.  Hope you will do so too.
Jeannette Brown
Christ Church UCC member.

PS:  Saturday is the New Jersey Association UCC meeting in Short Hills.  The discussion will be Social Media and I will be there, hope you will join me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home