Sunday, November 02, 2008

HomeSharing Article Star Ledger 11/2/08




Posted by Picasa
Above is the article on HomeSharing that was published in the Somerset, Hunterdon County editions of the Star Ledger on Sunday November 2. I am posting this article not because it is about me and my match but because it is a way to provide affordable housing in this time of people losing there homes because of foreclosures. Perhaps a family could avoid foreclosure if they share a room or rooms in their home. The operative word is share not rent because the seeker becomes a part of the family. If a homeowner has a big house then they might have separate quarters for the seeker. Since I am on the Board of Directors of HomeSharing we hear stories of the clients. The providers are not always poor, they may be elderly or empty nesters who want companionship. That is my story. Olinda Young my seeker came to me at the right time in my life. One year ago just before I was to have chemo. It would have been hard for me to live alone during my time of having chemo, especially as I had an adverse reaction the first day and wound up in the ER. I did not know how I was going to get home as I did not have my address list with me. I called Paul Tukey who is on my Lots of Helping Hands website and he called Olinda. All I knew is that Olinda (my angel) showed up to take me home. As a retired social worker and avid church worker, she has those caring aspects.
A full time agency like HomeSharing does not exist in Union County as the article says there is only a part time agency. Since people in Christ Church started the homeless hospitality network, this might be a project for someone to take up.
Jeannette

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home