Tuesday, November 04, 2008

We have a new president. A Historic President

Either way this election would have made history. If McCain had won we would have had the nation's first woman VP. But Barak Obama won and we have the nation's first African American President! I don't think this is partisan since the election is now over and the people have spoken. No matter who you voted for Obama is now your President. Obama spoke about the 106 year old woman who lived to vote for him. When she was young she could not vote because she was a woman and also more importantly because she was African American. My father was as I have said before a party of Lincoln Republican. When I found out that Obama won I prayed to my father and said I know you would have voted for a Democrat for the first time in your life. I am sure of that! My father was the one who taught me African American history even though I did not believe him because "it was not taught in school". How I wish I had listened to him at the time. He is probably saying "I told you so."
Now that this has happened I think we at Christ Church should have the "Sacred Conversation about Race" http://www.ucc.org/sacred-conversation/ that the UCC has been advocating. Because people might be saying that Obama was/is the exception. We need to look at what we think about race and let the ugly realities come out and face them.
They tell me that reading material would be Obama's books, The Audacity of Hope and others. They tell his life story. Also look at Michelle Obama's life story. They rose from working class parents to this stature. There are a lot of African Americans who can say the same, myself included.
When we had the Neighbor to Neighbor workshop at Christ Church two Sunday's ago they showed a video of children in the slums of Philadelphia. We were asked our reaction to the video and I said I could relate to the video because one child talked about being harassed by children in school for being different. This happened to me in the second grade because I was interested in learning and the kids didn't like that. We must talk!
Jeannette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home