Monday, July 13, 2009

Post Synod Musings #5 Music

I did not sing in the choir at this synod. It was the first time. I missed the call for choir members and when I spoke to the UCC minister in charge of the choir he said I could join but the rehearsal was at the same time as the United Black Christians lunch that I was to attend so I did not go. It was OK because they only sang one anthem not a lot a music like previously.

But I did go to the workshop which was the launch of the UCC's new praise hymn book. "Sing Prayer and Praise" OK you say praise music? It is not the usual praise hymn book it has some wonderful modern hymns one of which I have already sung as a solo at Grace United in Flemington.

Here is the UCC definition of praise music:

"Definition of Praise Music Praise music is a memorable, melody-based composition which is musically accessible without being simplistic; it has a fresh sound incorporating less-traditional rhythms and harmonization. Praise music makes one “feel” something with a goal of establishing a deeper relationship with God. It can move one to thought, action, and reflection based on the text or theme. The language of praise music is inclusive and accessible. It encompasses traditional religious vocabulary; explores non-traditional, contemporary images of God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit; and draws from the rich imagery found within sacred Scripture. Praise music seeks to embody the covenantal values of the United Church of Christ: Justice and Peace, Multiracial/Multicultural, Open and Affirming, Accessible to All – as we seek unity; celebrate diversity; honor inclusion; hope for relational, loving communities; and explore multiple images and understandings of God.” ~Adopted by the Praise Song Advisory Team, Sunday, July 22, 2007"

Since they were running a sale on the books I purchase five, two of which I am giving to Holly and two for the music director at Flemington and one for me. They are paperback editions which just the music and the words. The full book with the accompaniment will be published later this year. Holly has already ordered the full book and I have also placed an order for myself.

Holly has already asked me to chose one of the pieces for a solo so I will sing the one I know already which is called "Dream God's Dream" and maybe learn a new one.

It is always fun to learn new music.

Jeannette Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home