Friday, June 26, 2009

27th General Synod UCC Grand Rapids Michigan

Here is my blog from GS27 in Grand Rapids Michigan. This is about the fourth or fifth time I have been to a General Synod as a visitor. My first Synod was held in Providence Rhode Island.
This time I took the train from Washington DC to Chicago IL and then the train from Chicago to Grand Rapids after a layover of all day. The Grand Rapids train ride was interesting. We found out later that most of the people on the train were going to Synod. In fact the conductor commented that he had never seen so many people bound for Grand Rapids. The train left the station on time and got somewhere in Indiana and stopped. We waited for a while and then the train backed up. It seems the CSX dispatcher had sent us on the wrong track! CSX the freight line owns the track. Well we got almost to Grand Rapids and we stopped again. It turns out that CSX said there was Amtrak equipment in the way. They got that straighten out and we headed for Grand Rapids one hour late.
Ina Isobe was waiting for me at the station. She is from Union Congregational Church in Montclair and also a visitor at synod. She is my room mate till Sunday. She was among a group of UCC bikers who biked from Syracuse to Grand Rapids. She is going home by Amtrak.
This morning I visited the widower of one of the women chemists that I am working on for my book. He is an Episcopal priest at St. Marks here in Grand Rapids. The woman died in 1997 but I wanted to check with him about her life.
At about noon I checked in to synod and attended a hearing about the proposed governance changes. The UCC would like to change the governance structure to have one group rather than the five groups each with their own board that meets twice a year. it is very complicated but if you want more information about this I refer you to the UCC website.
After the hearing the business of Synod started.
I went to the Science and Religion Network dinner. The Science and Religion Network is a group of scientists who ponder the interface between religion and science. They are now working on evolution. There was a speaker at the diner who talked about evolution.
After the dinner it was back to the Opening Worship in the Plenary Hall. We had a rousing sermon by The Rev. Otis Moss III who is the new minister of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. This was the same church that Barack Obama use to attend. Choir members from that church sang the music and the liturgical dance troupe danced the music. I have always wanted Christ Church to have a liturgical dance group, because I think it is so cool. The Rev Moss sounds a lot like Martin Luther King Jr. when he preaches, or maybe it is the same lively way all African American ministers preach. They start out slowly but their body seems to be on springs as they jump up and down and then they wind up and let it fly and it goes on and on for an hour. He was very good. We got back to the hotel late last night and I fell asleep writing the first draft of this blog.

Jeannette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home