Sunday, June 28, 2009

Synod Day 3 Sunday

Today was Sunday and another day of rest. Well it was a day of rest for us visitors. The delegates are working hard on resolutions. I will speak about them tomorrow. Today started out with the Sacred Conversations about Race. We will have them some time at Christ Church I hope. We were supposed to have them last fall but somehow that did not happen. There were several different groups who talked about several different topics. The topics were: Race, Media and Politics, Race and the Environment, Race and Gender, race and LGBT, Race and Immigration, Race and Religion, Race and the New Generation, Race,Economics and Poverty, Race and Education, Race and Daily Life, Race and the Criminal Justice System, Race and Culture,and Race in the UCC. So you see there is something for everyone to discuss. I was torn between Race and Education and Race and Every Day Life. I chose Race and Education because that's my passion but Race and Every Day Life is something I live. For example when I went to buy a dress for a big occasion at a store in the Short Hills Mall, the clerks ignored me and I was ready to pay $l00 or more for that dress. That's is an example of Race and every day life. Or else clerks come over to you with the "Can I help you?" and then hover over you while you are in the store in case you are going to steal something, I guess.
But in the Race and Education group was a diverse group of mostly educators. It started by a talk by a young African American music teacher who teaches Band at a middle school in Greensboro NC. He spoke about his experiences as a teacher and the impact of the "No Child Left Behind Act" on the schools. Then we broke up into groups of three to discuss this and then larger groups. Each of the larger groups then reported out our finding. Most of what was said has been said before. The big action item is telling Congress when they reauthorize "No Child Left Behind" to put teeth into the bill. Right now it is an unfunded mandate and teachers spend a lot of time teaching to the test for fear of their jobs. It can be done better with alternative means of assessment. But I have blogged about this before so look at the old blogs.
Today was also the United Black Christians Celebration Luncheon. I had a ticket to this luncheon so I dressed up for the occasion. I wore my Afrocentric dress as most of the people there tend to wear Afrocentric clothing both men and women. The United Black Christians was started in 1970. It's mission Statement is:
To provide VOICE for all of the African American members of the United Church of Christ.
To strengthen the Black churches within the United Church of Christ.
To train and nurture leaders of our churches for Gospel inspired service to the Black Community
To provide support for institutions that strengthen our community,
To provide a relevant ministry for our youth and young adults,
To empower the laity for a present day ministry,
To be active advocates for liberation and racial justice at home and abroad,
To provide spiritual nurture for our members,
to enhance clergy-lay ministry partnerships, and
To preserve our history as a people within the United Church of Christ.

I am a member of the United Black Christians. John Thomas came to the luncheon to say his goodbye's as well as the new General Minister nominee Rev. Black.
The program was filled with music and another sermon by an African American minister Rev. Henry Simmons.

After the luncheon we all went back to the convention center to attend the afternoon worship service to which the general public was invited. The Rev John Thomas preached and the choir sang. I am glad I was not in the choir because they only sang one song and their rehearsal was during the United Black Christians luncheon.

After the worship service the delegates got down to business to review the numerous resolutions. Since I am not a delegate I went back to my hotel for rest and relaxation. Tomorrow is the service project day.
The Synod is being webcast live if you would like to see what is going on.
Jeannette Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home