Monday, December 17, 2012

Thank you for your Donation to the FoodBank

 
Here is a story about a woman who worked in corporate America.  The company decided to run an early retirement plan and it was suggested that she partake in this plan.  She took the offer.  She then found out that because she had a loan on her 401K the company would have to take back the loan money out of her last paycheck.  This happened to be the month of December so that she had very little money for Christmas.  She happened to be a HomeSharing provider  and client so she was able to take the food basket that HomeSharing  donates for Christmas.  Someone had donated Christmas trees that year so that she was able to have a Christmas tree that year.  It was a sad Christmas but made better because she had access to food and a Christmas Tree. 
Note: The Board of World Fellowship currently supports HomeSharing and the agency is active in Union County.  The agency will be giving out food baskets and donated items at a lunch for clients that have requested them tomorrow at the office.

As you may have guessed by now I was that woman.  But I shed a tear as I remembered that year.

I thought of this as I delivered the food  to the Somerset County Food Bank in Bridgewater New Jersey.  This was the food that you had donated and had been sitting in the atrium for about a month.
I guess I jumped the gun as Pastor Chuck said they were to deliver the food to the Hillside Food Bank.  But I heard from the volunteer who helped me deliver the food that Hillside Food Bank is the main Food Bank.  The one in Somerset County would have to BUY food from them when the run out of food.  It would be a a low rate but their funds come from monetary donations.  They prefer direct food donations to the local food bank.  They also take monetary donations because they can purchase food at a lower rate than a regular person could.  They also need volunteers to help stack the shelves.
 While I was there I saw several clients coming in to shop.  They had shelves with food and bread and even some fresh fruit.  I saw oranges on the shelf.  In the parking lot there were Christmas Trees free for the taking that someone had donated.

As we were unloading the car an older African American woman was driven in by a car service.  The driver got her walker out for her and she was wearing red shoes.  The volunteer and I commented on her read shoes and called her Dorothy (Wizard of Oz).  She made a quick trip into the Food Bank to "shop" and came out and got into the car and was driven away.  I waved goodbye to her.

I was wished Merry Christmas by the volunteer who helped me who was also a retired chemist and his wife is also a Shawl Ministry knitter.

All in all it was a good experience and I am glad I jumped the gun and was able to help people who need food.  As I saw on a sign in the Food Bank, "Hunger Does Not Take A Holiday"

The manager of the Food Bank was surprised that I came from Summit.  I told her I go to church in Summit but live in Hillsborough.  Christ Church Summit got the credit for the donation.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR DONATION!

Jeannette Brown
Christ Church Summit
UCC Representative.












 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home