Friday, November 09, 2012

Post Sandy what you can do

I hope you are recovering from Sandy.  Last night in Choir Rehearsal I was the only one who did not have a power loss.  I live in an area with few trees and underground wirering but I also think I was lucky.

But I feel for the people who lost everything.  I used to live on Staten Island and people in New Dorp, the community where I went to school are suffering terible losses.  New Dorp High school is a site where people can find help.  I graduated from New Dorp High school but not in that building but it was not far from there.  Then there is the community in New York where houses burned to the ground.  People there are suffering a total loss.

What can you do.  Well one thing we are doing in Christ Church is collecting food to be distributed to needy people.  I saw a video of a Food Bank where a woman who had donated to the Food Bank was now forced to go to the Food Bank as a client.  That was a different experience for her.  There is a television program on ABC TV Channel 7 called The Chew.  They cook and talk.  One of the segments this week they took food that you could get from the Food Bank and prepared a gormet meal.

When you bring food to Christ Church Sunday or anytime this week or next think of this list of things to bring

Donate Food/Grocery Items

The Community FoodBank is seeking donations of the following items:
  • Meals in a can
  • Canned tuna
  • Peanut butter
  • Canned Fruits
  • Canned Vegetables
  • Canned Soup
  • Shelf-stable Milk
  • Cereal
  • Baby Food – No Glass Jars
  • Diapers

You can also help by

Check Out Hunger

When is it?

Check-Out Hunger runs every year, from late September through the end of January. Our Check-Out Hunger retail partners run the campaign at varying times over the four month period. Shoppers can donate whenever they see the Check-Out Hunger displays.

How do I donate?

Shoppers can find a display of Check-Out Hunger donation slips right at the checkout aisle. Every $1, $2, $3 and $5 donation slip has its own UPC, just like any other item in the store. Whenever a shopper makes a donation, the cashier scans the Check-Out Hunger donation slip. The donation is added to the bill and appears on the receipt. Please give generously whenever you see the Check-Out Hunger displays.

Where is it?

Our retail partners’ dedication to the Check-Out Hunger campaign is a crucial factor in its continuing success. Their corporate support allows the thousands of store employees and the hundreds of store volunteers to set up and run the campaign, so that hundreds of thousands of generous food shoppers can make donations to help their neighbors in need.
You can Check-Out Hunger at these participating retailers in our area:



I just did that today.  I bought a bag of stuff to bring to Christ Church on Sunday and I Checked Out Hunger as I purchased my groceries.

Jeannette Brown
Christ Church Summit NJ
UCC Representative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home